The main goal of the project is to study invertebrate biodiversity and possibilities of its restoration in the quarry, adjacent territories and recultivated lands. During the project development the following objectives will be achieved:
- study of species composition of soil and terrestrial invertebrates in the selected quarry (after mining landscapes including migrating ecosystems);
- study of species composition of soil and terrestrial invertebrates on the territories adjacent to the quarry;
- study of species composition of soil and terrestrial invertebrates on recultivated lands od different succession stages;
- bioecological mapping;
- study of population parameters (including quantitative), ecosystem connections and importance of invertebrates in ecosystems;
- study of main stages and way of inhibiting landscapes by invertebrates, changed as a result of mining and cultivation, main limiting factors;
- study of groups and species of inverterbrates which can be ised as bioindicators of natural and transformed ecosystems;
- assessment of biodiversity, tolerance and dynamics of existing and forming ecisystems;
- recommendations on sustainable support of local ecosystems which developed under anthropogenous pressure;
- recommendations on abundance optimization, protection and use of several species of invertebrates.
Standard methods of collection and determination of invertebrate species will be used with standard periods of data collection: soil samples; pitfall traps; collection by standard entomological net; quantitative sampling using samples exclusion method; determination of invertebrates; statistical processing of the data.
The project will be developed during May-September 2012 under the guidance of Anna Korotkova, professor, doctor of biology, head of dept. of biology and ecology of Tula State Pedagogical University named after Leo Tolstoy.
The expected results of the project;
- description of invertebrate biodiversity in the quarry and recultivated territories;
- determination of level and intensity of restorative succession on recultivated territories for further planning and prediction of land reclamation;
- development of a model of bioecological monitoring of the quarries and recultivated territories;
- practical recommendations for the mining company on ecosystems optimization